Announcing Friend OS Hydrogen
Hydrogen is the new LTS version of Friend, and the first version that applies our new naming scheme – picking names from the periodic table. Hydrogen will see updates for the next two years – released as patches to this branch.
Friend Core updates
- New networking engine – ultra fast and reliable HTTP connections and more reliable socket connections with less packet errors. This has sped up all networking in Friend. Additionally, server-to-server connections now all use SSL.
- Even faster websockets – real-time, persistent Friend server connections. We updated to the latest Libwebsockets version, which in concert with our rewritten network engine has seen great improvements in speed and reliability.
- Support for 2+GB uploads – start migrating large archives to Friend drives.
Friend Chat improvements
- Follow speaker mode now allows for a larger amount of participants in peer-to-peer video conferences.
- Mobile support has been improved.
- Support for iOS have been introduced.
- Many bug fixes!
For further details check out github:FriendChat and github:Presence
- We have refactored the file manager and added a gallery mode for large thumbnails.
- We added icon labels for virtual desktops.
- Further improved Workspace notifications with a fixed height, to avoid layout problems on some screens.
- Removed popup-windows on mobile and instead implemented mobile widgets.
- Faster start-up times for launching applications.
- Improved mobile apps for iOS and Android.
- Introduced new Shared drive that allows users to share any file with any workgroup or user.
- Now supporting public files (publish on web) for both Home drives as well as Workgroup drives.
- Improved Admin app for managing Friend user accounts, workgroups and templates.
- My account got support for unicode characters for avatars.
- Security improvements.
- Stability improvements.
- And lots more!
Friend OS Hydrogen got changes to many of its bundled apps, like Notes, Friend Jukebox, My account, Friend Create, Friend Shell.
About the author